Pagine

Rebuilding my Temple #3- My Super Huge Investment in my Health

0 comments
I am a serial gym membership killer. Well, not so much a killer as I will start one, be very into it for a couple of months, then abandon it to die a slow, painful death. This has happened oh, about once a year for the last 4 years. I have bled loads of cash in my random fit-kicks. It’s really a problem. Well…NO MORE.

Gyms usually seduce me with their offerings of fun classes- like Pilates, Zumba, yoga.  Well then I would start up and realize the gym schedule of classes was not really so accommodating to my life. Um, hello, how many of us can actually get to that Pilates class at 3pm on a Tuesday?  So I would settle for the elliptical a few times a week AFTER work, but inevitably I would get bored and, well, you know the rest.

My A-Type, border-line OCD personality being what it is, I need some sort of structure to motivate me. I need to know, okay, Yoga starts at 7:15pm EVERY Monday, Weds, Friday. I can plan my calendar accordingly to this schedule, and I’m more motivated to go. It’s ALL a mental game with me. Making a routine is essential when it comes to me being able to live a happy, functional life. When I don’t have a routine, it just goes to pieces. I’m very much a creature of habit.

It also helps when I have someone to hold me accountable, to go, “Linds, get your ass off the couch, your class starts in half an hour.” Even more helpful is when I have a gym buddy, which I’ve only ever had once and that was the last time I really can remember being in shape. My best friend and I would meet up for a Pilates a couple of times a week. That was a few years and about 15 pounds ago. Yikes. How times have changed.

So apparently I’m back on a kick. Don’t ask me how or why. Perhaps it’s the fact that LT. Hubs, who works overnights and weekends, still manages to go for a 6-mile run nearly every day, and is looking rather svelte. Perhaps it’s watching my best friend’s transformation. She’s recently started doing Camp Gladiator and has been getting her ass up at 4:30am a few times a week to work out-and that’s BEFORE she goes on to her full time job as a social worker THEN on to her internship working with recovering drug addicts. Between the two of them they make my go-to excuse of “I’m too tired” seem colossally lame-o when we compare lives.


So I know I need a fun class, a routine, and a work out buddy. I do have a languishing gym membership for a pretty big-name chain, which I haven’t used in a couple of months (there goes $90 down the drain). But like I said, the classes I wanted weren’t offered when I could go. I’ve been meaning to cancel it, and I have to now, because we just signed up for the world’s most expensive gym membership EVER.

What compelled a cheap-ass such as me to do such a thing? Well, LT. Hubs actually used to work there years ago, and he really hasn’t stopped talking about how awesome it is. So out of boredom I got online to see what the big deal is, and well, it really seemed too good to be true-because it has EVERYTHING. Like, really, you could live there. It’s open 24/7. The classes I want at times I can actually GO, a nice big lap pool, huge hot tubs, a sauna, a health cafĂ©, a spa, an included rock-climbing wall (cause I rock climb so much)…it goes on. They were offering a free seven-day pass if you scheduled an appointment to talk with a sales guy, so I thought, what the hell?

We met with our sales guy,who really didn’t look like the kind of dude who sells gym memberships (as in he didn’t look like a total d-bag), and he opened the conversation with, “Well, we’re definitely not the cheapest, but we are the best.” An honest sales guy? I like him already.

We walked all around this ginormous building, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually DID have everything the website said, and it was super clean. We talked numbers (which made me throw up a little in my mouth) then decided to have a work-out and think about it. Since the classes I wanted to try were already under-way, I went for a few miles on the elliptical instead, while LT. Hubs, who had already had his 6 mile run, opted to go hang out in the hot tub and steam room. We re-convened at the outside pool, and talked pros and cons.

CONS: Expensive, about a 20 minute drive from home.
PROS: Everything else.

It really came down to one thing: How much are we willing to invest in a healthy lifestyle? What are we willing to commit to be fit?

I told LT. Hubs that in order for this to be worth it the cost, we’d need to go at least 4-5 times a week. He asked if I’d actually go (since my current track record sucks), and after a bit of thought I decided that my chances are better of actually going since he’ll be going with me. He’s my nuptial work-out buddy. He won’t let me talk myself out of going, no matter how “tired” I feel. And plus I simply can’t justify throwing so much money away every month. I mean, it’s in the triple digits, people. I feel snobby just admitting that…

So, here’s to my super-huge investment in my health. It sure ain’t cheap, but that’s the price I’m willing to pay for a perky ass and a sauna.


Much love to ya,



No comments:

Post a Comment